what internet

ONENESS, On truth connecting us all: https://patents.google.com/patent/US7421476B2

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Take Control of Your Life

Neil Fiore, PhD, Tells How to Take Control of Your Life

I f you have ever sabotaged your own chances of success... felt your emotions control your reasoning... or been unable to get yourself to do things that you told yourself you must do, then your 'executive' brain wasn't playing its proper leadership role. The executive brain regulates the primitive reactions and impulses we all experience. Here's how to put it in charge...

PUT A PROBLEM IN ITS PLACE

Start by viewing negative habits, impulses and thoughts simply as parts of your larger self. When you do this, you'll realize that you can observe these old 'default' reactions and exercise your executive brain's unique ability to consciously choose how to act.

Example: If you're struggling to quit smoking, notice the part of you that says, 'I want a cigarette,' and think, Yes, a part of me wants a cigarette. I, as the leader of my life, have a responsibility to protect the parts of me that are vulnerable to addiction. I have a commitment to keep my body and brain healthy. I can choose to find a healthy alternative to deal with stress.

LET YOUR HIGHER SELF RULE

The executive part of your brain is in charge of organizing the primitive parts into a cohesive team that serves your goals and challenges.

Example: Let's say you need a root canal. Fear of pain is a natural primitive response. Tell the fearful part of your brain, "Yes, that could hurt and you're afraid. I'm not asking you to face this fear alone. I will take the proper action to save the tooth and promote health."

STAY IN THE MOMENT

Focus your attention on what you can do now. Dwelling on the past or anticipating the future can lead to anxiety and self-doubt. Don't wait until you feel confident or motivated before you start a project. With your executive brain in charge, the other parts of you will follow the leader.

Example: A part of you doubts that you have prepared enough to give a presentation at an important sales meeting. You recognize your old habit of perfectionism. Say to your primitive brain, "Yes, there's the old habit again. I realize that no amount of preparation will feel like enough, so I choose to do the presentation with what I know now."

No comments: